I really thought this was a cute card from Rick. It's a compliment to me and he doesn't give many. Having him be thoughtful enough to make this compliment is a good thing.
I subbed at the Temple on my birthday at 4:00 a.m. This is about the 3rd time that I've subbed this shift. It seems like I have a lot of "free" time on this shift. So, I've decided that I should put this "free" time to good use. I've been trying to memorize some of the ordinance work in Spanish. (I'm familiar with some Spanish-how to pronounce many words. Thru the years of working with Spanish people, I've learned to sort of read some Spanish. I can usually read the "jist" of whatever I'm reading. I still cannot understand them when they speak-just a few words and small phrases.) Back to my Birthday. We had a sister come into Initiatory that was Spanish. I told her that I had been trying to learn the Spanish ordinances. I asked her if she minded if I practiced with her-telling her that part of it would be in Spanish and the rest in English. She said that would be OK. I only got the opportunity to do it once and only in one booth, but I did good. I'm sure that I didn't sound as good as someone that normally speaks Spanish. The great thing is that she understood me! ! ! That was the best birthday present that I could have given myself.
Since then, I have learned the New Name Ordinance, the Initiatory Clothing Ordinance and part of the Confirming of the Initiatory Ordinance in Spanish. It's hard to practice this because we're not supposed to practice the ordinance work out loud or write it down. It's all memorized. When I practice in my head, I feel like I'm getting better. I feel the spirit. One of the brothers that is a sealer in the Temple on my regular shift, speaks Spanish also. He is helping me with the pronunciation. I also intend on going to the Wednesday and Saturday evening sessions for Spanish Initiatory, so that i can actually hear how the words sound. I have some Spanish workbooks and tapes. I have sort of used them before. A friend gave me a new workbook (almost like one I already had). I am really studying them now. This is something that I want to do very much. I was able to teach myself to play the piano without lessons. Therefore, I know that I can do this also. Maybe, I won't be great, but at least enough that someday I will be able to do the ordinance work efficiently in Spanish.
I spent the afternoon visiting with Grandma Bodily (mom). The twins weren't home most of the time that I was there. I didn't have to do any bills that day for Mom. It was just a pleasant day visiting with her.












2 comments:
I love the card.
good luck on the Spanish efforts; learning a language can be a challenge but it sounds clear that the Lord is blessing you.
That is a very cool card from Rick!
Hey, do you remember the last name of a checker at Albertson's whose first name was Donna? Thanks in advance, Mike
Post a Comment